Are you either a trainee or qualified counsellor, clinical or educational psychologist?
Would you like to join an organisation that makes a difference to the lives of children aged between 4 years and 14 years?
- Place2Be provides a high level of support to volunteers through regular supervision, tailored training workshops and offers a well-recognised clinical placement.
- We provide a comprehensive induction programme and clinical supervision is undertaken at the end of each day.
- You will have the opportunity to attend up to six optional workshops throughout the year which are recognised as continuing professional development time.
- Sessions spent with children are accepted as clinical hours towards professional accreditation, and are recognised by the BACP and UKCP.
- We need you to be available for a minimum of one day per week to work in a therapeutic capacity with up to 3 children offering one-to-one counselling.
- Placements are term time only and run for one academic year. There are opportunities for you to stay with us beyond one year.
- Volunteering is an excellent stepping stone into a job opportunity and career with us.
- Diploma in Counselling (Level 4 or above). If you are in your first year you will have completed a full academic year Certificate Course in Counselling or the equivalent of 9 - 12 months.
- Degree, MSc or MA in Counselling, Counselling Psychology or Psychotherapy - if you are in your first year you will have relevant experience of direct work with children.
- Counselling training must have, or have had, a therapeutic and personal development component rather than being purely theoretical or research based (as with Distance Learning courses). Examples of this include: role play, creative work with art, TRIAD techniques.
- Preferably will have experience of working with children aged 4 - 14. This experience could be gained through volunteering, caring for children as a parent or carer or through a background in a caring profession such as nursing, social work or as a health visitor.
- Understanding of the characteristics of a therapeutic relationship with a child, ideally with experience or knowledge of humanistic or psychodynamic approaches.
We are always looking for suitable volunteers, so if you believe you have what it takes to thrive in this challenging, rewarding environment please apply.
We have places available in our projects in both primary and secondary schools nationwide.
Place2Be was founded in 1994 and the HRH The Duchess of Cambridge is our Patron. We are changing children’s’ lives in over 200 schools, and are the leading provider of school-based emotional and mental health services in the UK. An award-winning, passionate charity supporting over 67,000 children aged 4-14 years, improving their prospects by tackling the complex social issues that result in educational disadvantage.
Title: Volunteer Counsellor
Reporting to: School Project Manager
Days: Commitment to one full day per week for a minimum of one academic year.
Hours: Working day is normally 08:30 – 16:30 but this may vary depending on placement.
Overall purpose of the role: To provide emotional and therapeutic support to children aged 4-14 in Place2Be partner schools. As an organisation that has adapted the BACP ethical framework of good practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy, counselors working within the organisation are dedicated to improving the mental health and well-being of the children they work with.
Specifics of the role:
- You will work with a maximum client base of three children (per one day placement).
- Place2Be will provide weekly supervision with a School Project Manager.
- There is a potential for therapeutic group work with children in the second year of placement
- Contribute to the SPM’s report writing and case discussions
- Take advantage of the professional support offered to them by Place2Be in terms of weekly supervision, mandatory training course and any other additional training provided on specific topics on working therapeutically with children
- The Counsellor must adhere to the organisation’s confidentiality and information sharing policy at all times.
- Training will be provided in respect of Place2Be’s Safeguarding and Child Protection policies.
This role description is a general outline of the duties and responsibilities and may be amended as The Place2Be develops and the role grows. The post holder may be required to undertake other duties as may be reasonably required from time to time.
The person specification outlines the main criteria for the post and short-listing will be based on the following criteria. Please ensure that your supporting statement clearly shows how you meet the criteria using experience gained either in paid or voluntary work.
Key criteria required to be successful in this role:
You will be a fully qualified Counsellor, Therapist or Educational/Clinical Psychologist or studying towards one of these professions at the following levels:
- Willingness to make a minimum commitment to practice in school one full day per week (term time only) for one academic year.
- Identifies with Place2Be’s mission, vision and is able to demonstrate Place2Be values.
- Able to demonstrate self awareness with the ability to self reflect; ideally will have undertaken personal therapy (one-to-one or group therapy) to enhance this.