|Follow Your Heart! 10 Beliefs Stopping You From A Career Change|
|Written by Miles Cooper|
Have you ever talked yourself out of following your heart when it comes to a career choice? Here are some of the classic excuses and advice to help you overcome your fears.
1. I don't trust myself to choose the RIGHT business or career. The fear of making the wrong choice can freeze you into inaction. So often we put a lot of pressure on ourselves to have THIS career choice be the perfect one. Give yourself a break! If you are following your heart and your passions this career choice, even if it is not the "perfect" one, will put you on the path to a career you love.
2. I don't know enough. "If I only knew more I would be ready to move to that next career or start my own business." It is easy to spend the rest of our lives researching, learning and NOT doing. Do you want to know how to learn the fastest? Learn in action! It's not always pretty but it gets the job done. You will never know enough until you jump into that new career or business.
3. I can't make enough money doing what I love. First of all saying the word "can't" shuts down all creativity and makes that statement come true. Instead ask yourself, "What are some ideas that will turn what I love into money streams? Remember you can have several streams of income. It doesn't all have to come from one place. Sit down with a positive friend and brainstorm all the ways you can make money from what you love.
4. Changing careers is too hard. Staying at a career you hate is too hard!! Sure any change takes some focus and action but when you are moving towards your dreams it is worth it. Break it down. Take it one step at a time and soon you will be there.
5. I'm to old to make a career change. I remember reading about a women who had always dreamed about being a doctor. She entered medical school at the age of 60. Often people would say to her, "Do you know how old you will be when you finish?" Her answer always was, "I'll be in my 70's anyway. I would rather be a doctor when I am 70 then just be 70." It is never too late to make a career change or start a business that brings you joy.
6. I am not good at marketing and promoting so I can't start my own business. Most people do not start out being excellent at marketing themselves or their business. Don't let that stop you! There are plenty of books that will teach you how. Find one that fits your personality. Also consider partnering with someone who is great at marketing and let them do it for you in exchange for a piece of the action
7. I don't have enough confidence to change careers or start a new business. Be willing to take baby steps. With each action your confidence will build. If your lack of confidence is keeping you from even taking a baby step find a Life Coach to work with you on building that confidence. Change the beliefs about yourself that are holding you back and you will take steps you never thought possible!
8. I should just be happy where I am. Whenever I hear a "should" I know that compromise is nearby! It is important to follow your intuition and inner guidance. Being unhappy in a career is often a red flag from your wise self saying, "Listen up! It is time to head a different direction."
9. I don't want to do anything forever. This is a common theme from a true idea person. This type of person has so many great ideas that it is hard to stick with just one. The key to success is picking one idea and growing it into a successful career or business then and only then is it time to move to the next great idea. You don't have to stick with it forever!
10. All the good opportunities are gone. You don't have to be the first one to do something! Most successful businesses and careers are built by modeling what others have already done well. There are always fabulous opportunities if you are willing to open your eyes and see.