Social Media

A former resident of a children’s home confided to an ex-employee he had been raped and sexually abused as a teenager, an inquiry has been told.The Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry (SCAI) heard claims the abuse happened to a boy who lived at Barnardo’s Balcary House in Hawick when he worked…
The man known as "Nick" whose allegations sparked the Westminster sex abuse probe can now be identified after a judge lifted legal restriction.Carl Beech (pictured), 50, who is accused of 12 counts of perverting the course of justice and one count of fraud, appeared at Newcastle Crown Court via videolink.Judge…
A children's home worker has been found guilty of 19 sexual offences against boys.Bruce McLean (pictured) was convicted by majority verdicts at Chester Crown Court on 19 counts of indecent assault against four victims, a spokesman for the Crown Prosecution Service said.The jury failed to reach verdicts on a further…
An inquiry has heard a girl ran away from an orphanage because she was “mercilessly taunted” by other children.The witness, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was at Barnardo’s Balcary House in Hawick, Scottish Borders, during the 1960s and early 1970s.She told the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry on Thursday…
The Executive Office in Northern Ireland is encouraging responses to a consultation on draft legislation intended to help the victims and survivors of historical institutional abuse. The department has published three pieces of proposed legislation which are in line with the recommendations made in the Hart Report in January 2017…
A man who was shipped to Canada in the 1940s under the child migrant programme has described the experience as a “living hell”.Edinburgh-born Roddy Mackay, who waived his right to anonymity, left for Canada in 1941 from Liverpool.A medical examination prior to his emigration described him as suitable to work…
Survivors of abuse at children's homes across Northern Ireland have criticised government proposals on compensation as "derisory".Draft legislation to establish a compensation scheme for victims will come on Monday almost two years after the publication of the report by the Historic Institutional Abuse Inquiry (HIAI).The inquiry led by Sir Anthony…
More than a quarter of people who alleged they were abused at a children's home said they had told staff about the attacks while they were still in care, an inquiry has been told.The Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry (SCAI) heard 164 people complained to police about suffering abuse at Quarrier's…
A children's home worker accused of sexually assaulting boys in his care used his connections with Manchester United to "buy a form of silence" from his victims, a court has heard.Bruce McLean, 62, was friends with footballers and, while working as a care worker in the 1970s and 1980s, would…
A former football coach has been jailed for six years after being convicted of historical child sex offences.James Torbett – who was involved in setting up Celtic Boys Club – abused his position of trust to sexually abuse three boys over eight years in the 1980s and 1990s.A court heard…
A man who was sexually abused at a children’s home in the 1970s has spoken of his belief a paedophile ring may have been operating inside the facility. David Whelan, who waived his right to anonymity, said he believed he was being groomed to be “passed on” while he was…
A child was force-fed to the point where his mouth would bleed during a time in care that was “hell itself”, an inquiry has heard. A witness also told how he thought he was going to die during beatings at Quarrier’s Village in Renfrewshire in the 1960s and 1970s. He…
Page 1 of 28