Six investigations were commissioned by Rotherham Council, in 2014 and 2015, following the findings of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Exploitation in Rotherham (Jay Report), and the “Report of Inspection of Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council” (Louise Casey Report).
Professor Alexis Jay’s Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Exploitation in Rotherham was published in August 2014. Covering the period 1997 to 2013, it looked at how Rotherham’s
children’s services dealt with child sexual exploitation cases. The report found evidence of the sexual exploitation of at least 1,400 children in Rotherham during this period.
Given the serious failings highlighted by the Jay report, the Government appointed Louise Casey CB to carry out an inspection of Rotherham Council in relation to governance, children and
young people services and taxi and private hire licensing.
Louise Casey’s report was published in February 2015 and found widespread failings across the Council’s culture and services.
In February 2015, the Secretary of State exercised his powers of intervention and appointed a team of Commissioners to take over all of the Council’s executive functions, licensing powers
and to begin a rapid improvement programme.
As part of its commitment to improvement, the Council commissioned six investigations in 2014 and 2015. The purpose of these were to further investigate the findings of the Jay and Casey
reports and issues raised in the following weeks.
These investigations are focused as follows:
- Investigation into the Performance, Practice and Conduct of Senior Employees of the Council over the period of the Jay Report (1997-2013) and further highlighted in the Corporate Governance Inspection report made by Louise Casey (February 2015) (Gowling Solicitors) Download Here
- Independent Investigation - Review of Cases A to O referred to in the Jay Report (Independent Consultant) Download Here
- Audit Investigation into the Alleged Removal of Files and Impairment of Computer Records - April 2002 Download Here
- Audit Investigation into Missing Minutes from Meetings of the Key Players' Group - Late 1990s to 2003/04 Download Here
- Audit Investigation - Theft of 21 Laptops from Norfolk House, Rotherham: 26th October 2011 - Review of the Council's Response Download Here
- Report into Rotherham Taxi Licensing and Enforcement Service - 2010 to the Present (Weightmans LLP) Download Here